Amazon’s Echo Dot is a 360 degree speaker that uses far-field voice recognition powered by the Amazon Alexa voice service/assistant.
Design wise it looks like a hockey puck with two buttons on top and a rotating volume ring. If you’ve ever seen or own the original Echo, then it’s basically the first inch and a half taken off the top of the Pringle can-like Bluetooth speaker.
Echo Dot has everything the Echo has including long range, far-field voice capabilities, a microphone off button, an action button (for WiFi), volume ring control, and of course “Alexa” who can play music, tell you news, weather, traffic, sports, answer questions, and much more.
You won’t lose access to any of the Echo’s abilities, which includes its third party skills like Fitbit, Uber, Domino’s Pizza, and Capitol One found in the Alexa app.
- Echo Dot (2nd Generation) is a hands-free, voice-controlled device that uses Alexa to play music, control smart home devices, provide information, read the news, set alarms, and more
- Connects to speakers or headphones through Bluetooth or 3.5 mm stereo cable to play music from Prime Music, Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, and TuneIn
- Controls lights, fans, switches, thermostats, garage doors, sprinklers, and more with compatible connected devices from WeMo, Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Nest, ecobee, and others
- Hears you from across the room with 7 far-field microphones for hands-free control, even in noisy environments or while playing music
- Includes a built-in speaker so it can work on its own as a smart alarm clock in the bedroom, an assistant in the kitchen, or anywhere you might want a voice-controlled computer
- Always getting smarter and adding new features, plus thousands of skills like Uber, Domino’s, and more
- Amazon Echo is not required to use Echo Dot
Echo Dot is a hands-free, voice-controlled device with a small built-in speaker—it can also connect to your speakers or headphones over Bluetooth or through a 3.5 mm audio cable to deliver stereo sound to the speakers you choose. Dot connects to the Alexa Voice Service to play music, provide information, news, sports scores, weather, and more—instantly.
Echo Dot can hear you from across the room, even while music is playing. When you want to use Echo Dot, just say the wake word “Alexa” and Dot responds instantly. If you have more than one Echo or Echo Dot, Alexa responds intelligently from the Echo you’re closest to with ESP (Echo Spatial Perception).
Sleek and compact design makes Echo Dot a convenient addition to any room in the house. With its built-in speaker, you can place Dot in the bedroom and use it as a smart alarm clock that can also turn off your lights. Or use Dot in the kitchen to easily set timers and shop tens of millions of Amazon products using just your voice.