3D cell culture is an artificially-created environment in which biological cells are permitted to grow or interact with their surroundings in all three dimensions. Unlike 2D environments (e.g. a petri dish), a 3D cell culture allows cells in vitro to grow in all directions, similar to how they would in vivo. These three-dimensional cultures are usually grown in bioreactors, small capsules in which the cells can grow into spheroids, or 3D cell colonies. Approximately 300 spheroids are usually cultured per bioreactor.
Cell-Mate is a biomimetic 3D cell culture matrix designed to support and enhance your 3D cell culture assays. Materials are carefully chosen and processed to create an ideal microenvironment for your cells. Cell-Mate™ is also injectable, offering seamless translation from your incubator to your animal model.
Cell-Mate3D™ is an injectable, tissue-like matrix that offers researchers a biologically relevant microenvironment for in vitro and in vivo biomedical research. It is chemically defined: composed of naturally occurring biopolymers Hyaluronic Acid (HA) and Chitosan (CT).
- HA is a linear polysaccharide found in the extracellular matrix of connective, epithelial, and neural tissues. It is involved in cell proliferation, migration, embryonic development, and wound healing. HA also plays a role in cancer biology.
- CT, derived from Chitin, is a positively charged polysaccharide that is found in the exoskeleton of crustaceans.
When Cell-Mate3D™ dry blend is combined with cells in hydration fluid, Cell-Mate3D™ matrix forms instantly through electrostatic interactions between HACOO–groups and CTNH3+ groups. This interaction results in Poly-Electrolytic-Complex fibers that give structure to the construct.
Advance your research with Cell-Mate3D™
- Tissue-like stiffness better mimics in vivo extracellular environment
- Can allow for emergence of complex 3D structures/micro-tissues
- Cells may secrete own extracellular matrix into construct over time
Advantages of Cell-Mate3D™ over other 3D Culture options
- Permits long-term 3D cultures without producing a necrotic core
- No cytotoxic chemical or UV crosslinking required
- Chemically defined
- Use both in vitro and in vivo (injectable)
- Cells distributed throughout the matrix