Once limited to the pros, sous vide (pronounced sue-veed) is a cooking technique that utilizes precise temperature control to deliver consistent, restaurant-quality results. High-end restaurants have been using sous vide cooking for years to cook food to the exact level of doneness desired, every time. The technique recently became popular for home cooks with the availability of affordable and easy-to-use sous vide precision cooking equipment like Anova.
Sous vide, which means “under vacuum” in French, refers to the process of vacuum-sealing food in a bag, then cooking it to a very precise temperature in a water bath. This technique produces results that are impossible to achieve through any other cooking method.
Sous vide cooking is much easier than you might think, and usually involved three simple steps:
1. Attach your precision cooker to a pot of water and set the time and temperature according to your desired level of doneness.
2. Put your food in a sealable bag and clip it to the side of the pot.
3. Finish by searing, grilling, or broiling the food to add a crispy, golden exterior layer.
Why should I cook sous vide?
Sous vide cooking utilizes precise temperature control with circulation to produce results that you can’t achieve through any other cooking technique. The reason–when using traditional methods of cooking, you don’t have control over heat and temperature. Consequently, it’s very difficult and time consuming to consistently cook great food. Food ends up overcooked on the outside, with only a small portion in the center that is cooked to the temperature you want. Food loses flavor, overcooks easily, and ends up with a dry, chewy texture.
With precise temperature control in the kitchen, sous vide provides the following benefits:
Consistency. Because you cook your food to a precise temperature for a precise amount of time, you can expect very consistent results.
Taste. Food cooks in its juices. This ensures that the food is moist, juicy and tender.
Waste reduction. Traditionally prepared food dries out and results in waste. For example, on average, traditionally cooked steak loses up to 40% of its volume due to drying out. Steak cooked via precision cooking, loses none of its volume.
Flexibility. Traditional cooking can require your constant attention. Precision cooking brings food to an exact temperature and holds it. There is no worry about overcooking.
Anova Culinary Bluetooth Sous Vide Precision Cooker
Anova Precision Cooker makes it easy to achieve professional-level cooking results at home. To use, simply attach the cooker to any water-filled pot, put your food in a sealable bag, and set the time and temperature. The Precision Cooker heats and circulates the water to a precise temperature, cooking food to an exact temperature which creates maximum tenderness and moisture retention (without worry of overcooking). The Anova Precision Cooker connects to your phone, so you can cook amazing meals by the touch of a button – spend less time tied to the kitchen by relying on the app to notify you when your food is ready to eat.
- The Anova Precision Cooker brings sous vide to your home, so you can enjoy a cooking technique made famous by professional chefs for its incredible results
- Sous vide cooking produces restaurant quality results that are impossible to achieve through any other cooking method. Food is cooked evenly edge to edge, with no worry of overcooking.
- Heats and circulates water in the pot, evenly cooking food to a precise temperature to guarantee perfect results every time. Cook everything from meats, fish and vegetables to soups, and desserts.
- Easy to use – just attach the cooker to any pot, add water, drop in your ingredients in a sealed bag or glass jar, then press start. No fancy equipment required
- Simple interface on the device to set the time and temperature manually – or use the Anova Culinary app to find your cook settings and hit ‘Start’.
- Bluetooth connectivity enables you to start, stop and monitor your cook from your mobile device, so you’ll no longer be tied to your kitchen when you’re cooking.
From the manufacturer
Cooking the perfect meal is easier than ever
Attach the Anova Precision Cooker to any water-filled pot.
Set the time and temperature either manually on the device, or through the Anova Culinary App.
Put food in a ziplock bag, drop the bag into the water and clip it to the side of the pot.
Food is ready to eat out of the bag. Some people like to finish their cook by searing their food, throwing it on the grill, or by broiling it to give a nice look and a crispy outer layer.