NEUROPHOTOMETRICS IS A SCIENTIST-RUN FIBER PHOTOMETRY COMPANY DEDICATED TO MAKING HIGH-QUALITY OPTICAL EQUIPMENT FOR OUR SCIENTIFIC COLLEAGUES IN ACADEMIA AND INDUSTRY.
Fiber photometry is an imaging method used to monitor fluorescent signals via an implanted fiber optic cannula. Although it is still invasive, the diameter of the cannula is thinner than an endoscope.
Therefore, fiber photometry is well-suited to monitor neural population activity in deep tissue, such as the brainstem.
Neurophotometrics fiber photometry plug & play systems enable recording of bulk signals from calcium and neurotransmitter indicators in two colors, multiple animals, and multiple brain regions simultaneously.
With the sensitivity to pick up the activity of a single cell and the bandwidth to record from multiple freely moving animals and/or brain regions simultaneously, the original FP3001 set the standard for fiber photometry recordings. Through our work with over 100 labs worldwide, we have designed the second-generation system — the FP3002 — to include many upgrades based on feedback from those labs while maintaining the quality standard set by the original model.
The FP3002 has three excitation wavelengths for fiber photometry recording:
- 470 nm for imaging of green calcium indicators (e.g. GCaMP)
- 560 nm for imaging of red-shifted calcium indicators (e.g. RCaMP)
- 415 nm for an interleaved isosbestic control to eliminate motion artifacts (i.e. calcium-independent signals)
The added functionality of the FP3002 includes:
- Real-time processing and flexible control with a new computer interface
- Live data processing of over 100 channels
- Fully redesigned magnetic patch cord mounting system
- Ultra-stable scientific LEDs with patent-pending fiber optic feedback mechanism
- Upgraded sCMOS camera and knife’s edge image splitter for increased sensitivity
- Micro-second precision with synchronization across multiple devices
- Ability to collect analytical measurements for accurate across-subject comparisons
- Integrated optogenetics stimulation system with function generator
The FP3002 can be outfitted with up to two lasers (450nm, 635nm) for optogenetic stimulation. The first laser is free! Include both lasers for an additional customization fee.
Our system is fully compatible with Bonsai, a free and open source program. The data output takes the form of a .csv file, which you can then analyze however you’re most comfortable.