American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is an international non-profit organization dedicated to advancing
science for the benefit of all people.
The 2017 theme is “Serving Society through Science Policy” and focuses on how to inform policies with the best scientific evidence.
The AAAS seeks to “advance science, engineering, and innovation throughout the world for the benefit of all people.” To fulfill this mission, the AAAS Board has set the following broad goals.
• Enhance communication among scientists, engineers, and the public;
• Promote and defend the integrity of science and its use;
• Strengthen support for the science and technology enterprise;
• Provide a voice for science on societal issues;
• Promote the responsible use of science in public policy;
• Strengthen and diversify the science and technology workforce;
• Foster education in science and technology for everyone;
• Increase public engagement with science and technology; and
• Advance international cooperation in science.